After a months-long lockout, the NHL is finally returning to the ice today. They’re also coming back to Foursquare in a big way, launching an overall league badge and four new team badges, complete with discounts and special offers from the teams.
To unlock the NHL badge, Foursquare users will need to check in at two NHL games this season. With the badge, they’ll get a discount good for 15% off at shop.NHL.com.
The teams launching badges this season are the Carolina Hurricanes, New York Islanders, Colorado Avalanche and Washington Capitals. They join the Vancouver Canucks, who launched a badge last season. Fans can unlock their team’s badge by checking in at a home game this season or by following their team and checking in at an away game.
Each of the teams is also launching a Foursquare special. These will change throughout the season, so users should keep an eye out for the current deal. According to Foursquare, the deals at launch will include:
- New York Islanders fans who check in at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum will get a free t-shirt when they spend $50 in the Team Store, a free fleece when they spend $100, and two tickets to a future game if they spend $150.
- Colorado Avalanche fans can push their check-ins to Twitter for a chance to win tickets to an upcoming Avs game.
- Washington Capitals fans can check in at the Verizon Center and share their check-ins on Twitter for a chance to win an autographed puck from a Washington Capitals player.
- Carolina Hurricanes fans who check in to PNC Arena and share their check-ins to Twitter will be entered for a chance to win a team-autographed jersey.
- Vancouver Canucks fans will receive 50% off at the team store. And anyone who shares their check-in to Twitter will be entered to win a Canucks home jersey.
The NHL began their badge partnership with Foursquare last April, offering a badge for the Stanley Cup Finals. They were the first league to have a brand profile on Foursquare and each of their teams now has a brand profile as well.
In Foursquare’s blog post announcing the badges, they hint that more teams could be launching badges soon, so fans of other teams should keep their eyes peeled for more information as the shortened season unfolds.
What to you think of the badges? Will you be unlocking one of these or are you waiting for one from a different team?