This is a guest post by the co-founder of Checkin Cashin, a site that matches Foursquare checkins with daily deals to only give you deals from places you care about.
4sq Day (held every year on 4/16) is just around the corner and planning is in full swing. If you’ve never participated in 4sq Day before, it’s a time to connect with your fellow Foursquare brethren in person and often times get great specials and swag. 4sq Day started in Tampa in 2010 and has quickly grown to become a global meetup of Foursquare fans.
While 4sq Day is community-driven, Foursquare does support the event. This year, they’ve proclaimed the theme to be “local businesses” and are encouraging participants to focus on “celebrating local businesses around the world.” [Ed: they've also released the design for this year's badge; at right]
Here are a couple of ways you can make the most of 4sq Day:
- Participate in your local 4sq Day meetup. Head over to the official group at http://www.meetup.com/foursquare/ to see if there is a 4sq Day celebration in your town (over 200 cities are participating this year). If not, start one!
- Invite your friends. Tell your friends about 4sq Day and encourage more to join in on the fun by tweeting with the #4sqDay hashtag. The more the merrier!
- Have your business donate goodies. Last year the company I worked for donated a bunch of swag and other goodies to be raffled away at the local meetup to help make it more fun.
- Run a 4sq Day special. If you’re a merchant, give back to the Foursquare community that supports you so much by running a 4sq Day special.
- Most importantly, have fun! 4sq Day is all about connecting with great people and having fun, so smile and chat with others.
What about this year’s 4sq Day are you most looking forward to?