Foursquare is making a concerted effort to lure more college students to the service this fall. At least 10 schools have launched branded pages in the past few weeks and foursquare has begun a search for campus representatives to help evangelize the service. Now they’ve launched a series of five college-themed badges that can be unlocked at select schools across the country.
College campuses are a perfect place for the location based service to thrive. “Universities are recognizing the potential for using Foursquare to communicate with their student body,” foursquare marketing manager Anna Frenkel told Reuters yesterday.
Here are the five badges and how to unlock them, according to Arizona State University.
- Bookworm Bender: Check in to any designated study area/library after midnight. “Looks like you’re throwing a late night bender at the library. Ain’t no party like a Pythagorean Theorem party!”
- Smells Like School Spirit: Check in at any sports stadium, field or complex five times. “Woah! That’s your 5th check-in showing your school pride. You’re a super fan! Now remember to wash off that face paint before you go to bed – huge mistake!”
- Quad Squatter: Check in to a quad or commons 10 times. “That’s your 10th check-in at the Quad. Either you’re majoring in Botany, or you just gave up on class altogether.”
- Munchies: Check in to five different campus cafes or dining halls.”Nom Nom Nom. “That’s 5 check-ins at campus dining halls. You must be a Grilled Cheese connoisseur. You deserve a TV Show!”
- College Explorer: Check in to 25 different campus locations. “You’ve travelled far and wide to explore every corner of campus – all without getting scurvy. Magellan’s got nothing on you!”
The exact list of colleges that are eligible for these badges isn’t clear, so get out and start exploring your college campus and see if you can unlock them!